Saturday, June 2, 2012

Week 7

I have officially survived week seven here at BYTT. Week seven has been the craziest week yet. I say that every week, but it's actually true this time, trust me. Here is the breakdown of whacky week seven..

Apparently word got out that the hot room here at training was against California fire code - taped doors, no 'exit' signs illuminated, doors locked, only one way in and out for 500 plus yogis... Hence, the hot room was shut down by the LA Fire Department for almost three days. We did not do one single day of doubles this past week, and hardly any days of singles for that matter - Memorial Day, we got a surprise half day (yippie!) and the rest of the days were consumed with LAFD inspections. Safe to say, when this all came to a head, lots of yogis lost their shit (pardon my French). I, on the other hand, took it as an opportunity to relax and do some running for the first time in almost seven weeks (yikes!). I also ventured to the Bikram studio in Manhattan Beach for a class on Thursday morning. It was so refreshing to take class in a 'normal' environment, away from the yoga compound - my love for Bikram Yoga was renewed, if only for a day...

The staff proceeded to tell us yesterday that we would be required to do doubles on both Saturday and Sunday to make up for the lost classes... That's when I lost my shit.

Um, excuse me, did I hear that correctly? Doubles on the weekend? Apparently so. Let me take this opportunity to climb on my soapbox and express my opinion about this ridiculous requirement, because you know what they say about opinions...

I realize that people paid money to come here - a lot of money! - and they expected a certain number of yoga classes, and while I most certainly think they should offer classes on the weekend to make up for the lost ones, I do not think these classes should be mandatory. By forcing us to attend, they are essentially punishing us for missing classes this past week and let's be clear, the missed classes had nothing to do with us. How is it my fault that the hot box was against fire code? Yeah, that's what I thought - it's not. I paid an enormous amount of money to come here, entrusting these people with my safety and they failed me on that part. Not only do I think the mandatory classes this weekend are complete and total bullshit, I also think we, as trainees, deserve a sincere apology from whomever is in charge here.

Now, that's all I am going to say about that - just my opinion - take it for whatever it's worth. Moving on...

Postures clinics are over. I delivered all my Bikram dialogue successfully - go me! Week seven greeted me with an intense amount of anger. I am so over everything here - more so than usual. With that being said, I have seen a tremendous amount of growth happening inside me. I am slowly, but surely, starting to believe in myself and my awesomeness. I am beginning to understand the world around me, one day at a time, and most of all, I am becoming more and more grounded in my own beliefs - not Bikram's - each moment of each day. Only two weeks left here and while I will not miss any of this daily insanity, I will miss my four amazing yoga girls. I have profound gratitude towards each one of them for helping me through this journey. Thanks, ladies. xoxo

I am also grateful for being able to share this experience with my best friend, who has been on staff here at TT for the entire nine weeks. It's been a difficult journey for us both, but I cannot imagine it without her. I think in many ways our friendship has evolved in a huge way, for the better. Thank you, sweet friend, for putting up with me on a daily basis, both here and at home.

Only 3 more days until my birthday!! YAY!

Until next week...

Every day we slaughter our finest impulses. That is why we get a heart-ache when we read those lines written by the hand of a master and recognize them as our own, as the tender shoots which we stifled because we lacked the faith to believe in our own powers, our own criterion of truth and beauty. Every man, when he gets quiet, when he becomes desperately honest with himself, is capable of uttering profound truths. We all derive from the same source. There is no mystery about the origin of things. We are all part of creation, all kings, all poets, all musicians; we have only to open up, to discover what is already there. ~Henry Miller, Sexus

No comments:

Post a Comment